COMMUNICATION & DELEGATION FOR MANAGERS
A neat little article in Forbes magazine summarises 10 reasons why there should be more investment in management training. Here’s just half the reasons why it’s critical:
- An employee’s relationship with his or her direct manager is the most important single factor in employee engagement.
- Because there’s no widely agreed-on skillset for management (good managers come in all shapes and sizes), there’s an assumption everyone knows how to do it. This is akin to someone who’s never driven before being given keys to a car and told: “Drive.”
- The basics of sound management – clear objective setting, structured performance evaluation systems, honest and open feedback and communication, etc. – aren’t rocket science. In fact, they’re way easier than rocket science. Which is why companies ought to get them right.
- Many companies invest heavily in training at the top (leadership development, executive retreats, etc.) but less at the bottom or the middle, where it may well be more needed.
- Management is often uneven throughout an organization. You have your outstanding ones, your okay ones, and your downright incompetent ones who can do a lot of damage. In this biz, as in so many, consistency is a good thing.
‘The art of communication is the language of leadership.’ James Humes
We are in communication roughly 80% of our day. Whether reading, writing, talking or listening, on the phone, email or Face-2-Face, communication is a core part of our roles. Take it seriously personally to transform relationships. Take it seriously as a team to create a competitive advantage.
If you want to ‘master’ communications, you need to practice every angle. Listening skills, questioning, advocating, influencing, writing, presenting, conflict management and negotiation. All aspects are worthy of examination!
The latest from our Blog...
- I'm now an author! 16-Dec-2016
- The Counterintuitive Series 1: “Sleep your way to the top” Arianna Huffington 17-Nov-2014
- THE COUNTERINTUITIVE SERIES INTRODUCTION 01-Nov-2014
- INFLUENCING SKILLS: GAME OF THRONES STYLE 03-Oct-2014
- INFLUENCING SKILLS: The Desperate Need For More Effective Influencing 18-Jul-2013