COMMUNICATION & DELEGATION FOR MANAGERS
A neat little article in Forbes magazine summarises 10 reasons why there should be more investment in management training. Here’s just half the reasons why it’s critical:
- An employee’s relationship with his or her direct manager is the most important single factor in employee engagement.
- Because there’s no widely agreed-on skillset for management (good managers come in all shapes and sizes), there’s an assumption everyone knows how to do it. This is akin to someone who’s never driven before being given keys to a car and told: “Drive.”
- The basics of sound management – clear objective setting, structured performance evaluation systems, honest and open feedback and communication, etc. – aren’t rocket science. In fact, they’re way easier than rocket science. Which is why companies ought to get them right.
- Many companies invest heavily in training at the top (leadership development, executive retreats, etc.) but less at the bottom or the middle, where it may well be more needed.
- Management is often uneven throughout an organization. You have your outstanding ones, your okay ones, and your downright incompetent ones who can do a lot of damage. In this biz, as in so many, consistency is a good thing.
The 70/20/10 model of Lombardo and Eichinger states that development comes 70% from on the job experience; 20% from mentoring and coaching; and 10% from courses and reading. F2F Communications Mastery training includes 1-on-1 coaching and feedback; real world integration exercises; as well as hands-on training modules.
One of the most powerful ways to learn, is to teach. Run a communications session for your team so you immerse yourself in the research, consider what’s most important, be prepared to field questions, and most importantly, practice what you preach.
‘What you are shouts so loudly in my ears I cannot hear what you say.’ Ralph Waldo Emerson.Our communication is an expression of who we are. We can’t fake it for long. Authenticity is key.
The latest from our Blog...
- Thinking Fast/Slow 17-Apr-2019
- What’s Changed in the Last 20 Years? 22-Mar-2019
- Powerpoint – the good, the bad and the rather pretty solution 11-Feb-2019
- How to present numbers so they make sense to the listener 30-Jan-2019
- Fact Check Your Presentations 04-Apr-2018