COMMUNICATION & DELEGATION FOR MANAGERS
A neat little article in Forbes magazine summarises 10 reasons why there should be more investment in management training. Here’s just half the reasons why it’s critical:
- An employee’s relationship with his or her direct manager is the most important single factor in employee engagement.
- Because there’s no widely agreed-on skillset for management (good managers come in all shapes and sizes), there’s an assumption everyone knows how to do it. This is akin to someone who’s never driven before being given keys to a car and told: “Drive.”
- The basics of sound management – clear objective setting, structured performance evaluation systems, honest and open feedback and communication, etc. – aren’t rocket science. In fact, they’re way easier than rocket science. Which is why companies ought to get them right.
- Many companies invest heavily in training at the top (leadership development, executive retreats, etc.) but less at the bottom or the middle, where it may well be more needed.
- Management is often uneven throughout an organization. You have your outstanding ones, your okay ones, and your downright incompetent ones who can do a lot of damage. In this biz, as in so many, consistency is a good thing.
‘The art of communication is the language of leadership.’ James Humes
‘Communication works for those who work at it.’ John Powell. We all suffer the illusion that because we learnt to talk when we were three, we’re good communicators. If you treat it and develop your communication skills as much as your technical skills, you’ll have a powerful advantage in the world.
If you want to ‘master’ communications, you need to practice every angle. Listening skills, questioning, advocating, influencing, writing, presenting, conflict management and negotiation. All aspects are worthy of examination!
The latest from our Blog...
- Fact Check Your Presentations 04-Apr-2018
- The Brain Chemistry of Presenting 07-Mar-2018
- Like it or not, presentation skills are a critical part of our role 20-Feb-2018
- Authenticity 20-Feb-2018
- I'm now an author! 16-Dec-2016